Nutrition and Health
There is no training program, or supplement which can compensate
for a poor diet and poor sleep!
80% of body composition is based upon the things we do outside of the gym!
The foundation to health is something which cannot be attained solely in the gym. While exercise is essential to lifelong health and wellness, there are many important things you need to do outside of the gym to ensure lifelong sustainable health and fitness.
We do not prescribe or recommend you follow any “diet.” Nutrition is something which is very individualized. We do recommend that you live and achieve health by replacing unhealthy lifestyle habits with healthier ones. By incorporating the healthy habits discussed at the bottom of the page into your daily life, it will help you optimize your health and the results you see at the gym.
Along with a proper diet, it is also important to make sure your body is getting the right amount of vitamins, minerals and protein to help recover from your CrossFit workouts.
We do recommend the following supplements to help you on your journey for maximum health and well being:
- Protein (whey and casein)
- Fish oil
- Multi vitamins
- Vitamin D
Here at No Risk CrossFit you can find quality protein from Ascent, in both Whey and Casein Protein, and the best Fish Oil from Stronger Faster Healthier.
Personalized Individual Consultation and Coaching
Personalized Supplementation for Health and/or Performance
Nutrition Seminars and Workshops (in house or off site, per request)
Nutrition Challenges Remote and In Person
Comprehensive Body Composition Analysis using the In Body 570
Corporate Wellness and Corporate Nutrition Challenges
HEALTHY FOOD A CLICK AWAY DELIVERED TO NO RISK!
Here at No Risk CrossFit we have partnered with Kettlebell Kitchen. This allows us to provide you with healthy, whole food options, delivered to the gym, for Monday AM, and Wednesday PM, allowing you to eat healthy quality food, 7 days a week. Feel free to order as many meals as you like. Meal Plans or A La Carte meals are available!
Prioritize these Healthy Habits
First Priority: Sleep!
8-9 hours of quality sleep a night is very important. There is countless research out there linking lack of sleep to Obesity, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and early death! Lack of sleep causes stress and disruption of every single body function. Sleeping poorly one night, leaves you metabolically equivalent to a diabetic the next day.
What can you do to ensure adequate sleep?
- Turn off TV or Computers at least one hour before you need to be asleep. Use this time to do something else, read, talk to a loved one, meditate, etc. If you must be on a computer for work, install f.lux, a program which limits the amount of blue light being emitted from the screen. Blue light from TV’s and computers disrupts the hormone melatonin which is essential for sleeping.
- Make sure your room is calm and collected. Yes, a tidy room helps you go to sleep easier
- Lower the temperature. The cooler the room, the easier you will fall asleep and stay asleep. 55 degrees is optimal, however, if not possible, as cool as you can.
- In the dark. No the pitch black. Blackout the room! Good blinds removing any light from entering, cover any lights in the room (cover any digital clocks, or TV cable boxes with black electric tape) You want a pitch black room.
Second Priority: Nutrition-Eat Real, Nutrient Dense Food!
What constitutes real food? Basically, anything that has an expiration date and is not processed or minimally processed is real food!
- We highly recommend you purchasing your food from a local farm or farmers market. Local food is healthier and more environmentally sustainable.
- If you are going to the market, check the labels! Look for foods with very few ingredients, five or less, and look for foods which don’t have a lot of names on the label you need a chemistry degree to pronounce. Unfortunately, most breads and pastas have a high degree of processing.
- Fill your plate half full with vegetables. Protein should be about a quarter of the plate. A serving of fruit, and some healthy fat (Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado) fill out the plate.
- If you eat real nutrient dense food there is no need to count calories. Your body will tell you when its full!
If you have extra body fat which you are trying to lose, continue eating real, nutrient dense food as described above. Limit yourself to only two servings/pieces of fruit a day, limit yourself to only a handful of nuts each day, as well as stay away from high fat cheese, and utilize starchy vegetables (potatoes) and rice after exercise.
If you are an athlete looking to make performance gains, you need to make sure you have adequate carbohydrate intake.Utilize nutrient dense, all natural carbohydrate sources.
Supplements: Eat Real Food and Sleep and you won’t need many supplements
Two important ones however are:
- Vitamin D in the winter. In the summer get some uncovered sun exposure. Vitamin D is the most essential of the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Zinc-Magnesium-Vitamin B6 (ZMA): Zinc and Magnesium are essential to proper body functioning. Ideally take this supplement at night, as Magnesium has a calming effect on the body and will help you sleep.
- Creatine: The most widely researched supplement, safe, inexpensive and very effective at performance increases and overall health and well being. Creatine has been shown to benefit athletic performance as well as shown benefit in neurodegenerative, vascular and muscular disorders, and bone health. It also protects your brain and improves cognitive function.
- Probiotic: A healthy you means a healthy intestinal flora. Unfortunately, unless you eat fermented foods, and never have taken an antibiotic, chances are your gut could use some help. The microbiome in your intestines is the first line of defense of your immune system and keeps you healthy! The stronger and more diverse your gut, the healthier you are, and it even could mean weight loss! Look for a probiotic with as diverse a culture as possible.
FOR BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS OR DOSAGE CONSIDERATIONS PLEASE FILL OUT INQUIRY FORM AND SET UP A SUPPLEMENTATION CONSULTATION
And the list goes on…
This is just to scratch the surface of the benefits of our CrossFit program, and to give you a little feel for what you could expect to experience here at NoRiskCrossFit. There is plenty more to share – contact us to learn more or to sign up for your FREE intro session!