Do you ever find yourself in the grocery store wondering exactly what to buy to make healthier choices? There is so much confusion about what you need to do and which products are the best.
“Low carb,” “low fat,” “no added sugar,” “sugar-free,” …what are you to buy?!
Keep reading for a list of items that will help to clean up your grocery cart.
The BEST tip for each of us, is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store first! Fill your cart with fruits, veggies, and lean meats.
In most places, these items are NOT down the aisles–they are all around the perimeter of the store!
Once you have finished shopping the perimeter, hit the aisles for a few staple items:
- Snack Bars like Rx Bars or Low Sugar Kind Bars. (General guidelines are to look for 7-14 grams of protein, 9-18 grams of carbohydrates, and 3-6 grams of fat.)
- Deli Meat (low-sodium). Pair with avocado, salad or veggies, and fruit for a quick lunch or with hummus for a quick snack!
- Pre-cooked brown rice and quinoa (you can save up to 45 minutes by doing this.) If you are meal prepping or rushed for time these grab and go bags are ideal!
- Black beans in a can are a great source of fiber.
- SALSA!! It goes great on everything and is naturally low calorie.
- Frozen steam fresh veggie bags. Just pop them in the microwave!
- Dark Chocolate with 70% or more Cacao to curb a sweet tooth.
- Frozen Pre-cooked chicken breast
Rushed on time and need to cook and want to eat healthy? Grab a plate and put half a bag of frozen veggies. Once veggies look like they are not frozen add to the plate, 2 Frozen Chicken Breasts and half a bag of pre-cooked rice. Heat until Chicken is warm. Add a scoop of salsa to the chicken. Healthy, balanced and nutrient dense meal in less than 10 minutes.
While this is NOT a comprehensive list of items to buy, it is a great start! Making small sustainable changes is the best way to achieve progress and keep it!